The Kinley Pouch
Okay, I had a total fan-girl moment. I managed to keep my sh!t together but DAMN was I excited when Jen from Jen Fox Studios contacted me at the start of last month and asked if I was interested in sewing up her new pattern, the Kinley Pouch! I’ve become a huge fan of Jen’s since discovering her Instagram account a few years ago. I’ve also been fascinated with different surface design mediums; be it silk screening, fabric paint, or decolourant, and loved finding another quilter and sewist who was free in her exploration of form, technique and motif. Her IG feed is definitely a huge source of inspiration for me, so I was honoured when she got in touch.
I love a good pouch. I’ve made hundreds; literally. Box bags are my usual go-to. I’ve made quite a few of Anna Graham’s Petal Pouch (so cute!!), snap purses (that fit credit cards!) and a whole slew of your basic rectangular zip pouches. But when I saw the photos for the Kinley Pouch I was intrigued.
We were a few days away from leaving on holidays when Jen got in touch. She sent the pattern file, and I had about an hour to spare the night before we left on our 24hr drive. I had already prepped my EPP kit with my Warmhearted quilt pieces ready to go, and wanted to be able to do some hand-work on it while on the road. I grabbed a few pieces of solid Kona, sewed the outside panel together and got to work with the decolourant.
With a basic thin paintbrush I painted lines of decolourant across the length of the pouch top. Once dried I simply ironed over the fabric and the decolourant does its work, stripping the colour out of those areas. I then washed the fabric to remove the residue and hung it to dry. The next morning I grabbed a piece of backing, ironed fusible batting to both sides grabbed some 12wt aurifil threads that coordinated and away we went!
I spent time here and there over our holidays hand-quilting randomly on top of and beside some of the decoloured lines and I am really happy with the overall effect. Once we got home from vacation I got the rest of it put together, but strayed from the instructions slightly.
Instead of machine sewing the binding on both sides, I opted for hand-stitching the binding on. I LUUUUVVV hand-binding!
My finished Kinley Pouch looks a little different from the other ones that have been made so far, but I love it, and that’s all that matters with our handmade items, isn’t it?! I love the structured side panels and how when unzipped, the pouch opens up to full width. There is tons of room for customizing the outer and inner layers, using different substrates, textures and fabrics. Jen also gave instructions for lining with poly, which would be fantastic for a makeup case! I’m pretty sure I’ll be making more of these in the future – my oldest daughter has already called dibs on this one!
For more details on the Kinley Pouch, or to purchase the pattern, click here. Also, if you’re not already following her, check out Jen’s Instagram feed – if you’ve ever been interested in learning more about decolourant or seeing it in action, she’s the one to follow!
Thanks so much for stopping by!